There are several ways to be a CCSYR Volunteer. Being a volunteer is a way to share your time and talents, and give back to your community. It can be a way to gain Canadian workplace experience. Students can complete their required community service hours. Whatever your reason, we would like to hear from you.
Volunteer are primarily associated with one of these services in the agency:
In the Program, you can help newcomers adjust, adapt and integrate into Canadian society, assist newcomers to overcome the stress of moving to a new country, and promote the concept of volunteerism among newcomers.
In Counselling, Group Services and some Settlement programs you can answer phones at the reception desk, greet clients and visitors to the building, help to set up and run workshops, and assist the staff with routine administrative duties.
To be a volunteer, you need to:
- be at least 18 years of age
- commit 3-4 hours per week for a period of 1 year
- complete a police check (fee paid by CCSYR)
- provide 2 references
- attend an orientation session
- complete a confidentiality agreement
- be a Canadian citizen or be a permanent resident for 3 years (Integration Network Program only)
Want to know more? Call the Volunteer Coordinator at 905-770-7040, ext 240.